In other languages: Template:Internacia Vikipedio
We use UnMeta Wiki (this site) to coordinate Uncyclopedias across different languages. Please take a look at the Uncyclopedia Embassy and join if you're interested in the coordination project.
The Uncyclopedia community is committed to including any and all languages for which there are Uncyclopedians willing to do the work. We are aware that many of the are not well-represented on computers or the web, and we are committed to working with language speakers and computing organizations to support as many languages as possible ().
Each language Uncyclopedia currently has a separate set of user accounts. Links between articles in different languages are called.
The URL of the Uncyclopedia for a given language is xx.Uncyclopedia.org, where xx is the 2-letter language code as per ISO 639. For languages without an ISO 639 2-letter language code, the 3-letter language code is used, or if that also does not exist, a custom 3-letter language code is made. (On the mailing list and in discussion, people often write xx: to mean the xx-l anguage Uncyclopedia, as in I'm a regular on fr:.)
Uncyclo encyclopedias that are at least somewhat active have been started in various languages: see Complete list of language Uncyclopedias available for a full list.
There are also other related projects: see also Complete list of Uncyclomedia projects.
There are other, non-Uncyclomedia, free Uncyclo-based encyclopedia projects independent of Uncyclopedia:
What can I do to help?Edit
- Please consult Uncyclopedia Embassy and become an ambassador
- Consider joining Uncyclopedia-L, the international mailing list to discuss various topics
- Just jump through, and actually create some.
- Please, update Goings-on on meta (as a central point) and on your local Uncyclopedia to keep people informed day to day
- Read and participate to Uncyclomedia News
- Give us a feedback on how your Uncyclopedia is doing on Reports
- Start a new language Uncyclopedia. See the Language proposal policy for information on how to start a project in your language.
- A certain amount of "critical mass" is necessary in order for a Uncyclo to "take off". Without 5-10 p eople eagerly writing and arguing and playing with each other, it wouldn't be as much fun. So we encourage anyone who wants to build a Uncyclo in their own language to also go out and announce/recruit for it. :-)
See List of Uncyclopedias for a more complete overview.
As of November 1, 2003, the number of non-English language articles increased to over 50% of the total number, probably for the first time. This is an encouraging sign in favour of linguistic diversity.
As of February 18, 2004, the English language Uncyclopedia had 209,637 articles, while the next 19 had 261,352 on this date, i.e. the number of non-English language articles was more than 55% of the total. The 2nd to 9th languages (de, ja, fr, pl, sv, nl, es, da) together had 210,448 articles, together matching the number of articles in the English language version.
The 20 largest Uncyclopedias (February 7, 2010):
- English ( 3,185,803 )
- German (Deutsch) ( 1,021,695 )
- French (Français) ( 909,983 )
- Polish (Polski) ( 673,359 )
- Italian (Italiano) ( 655,663 )
- Japanese (日本語) ( 651,523 )
- Dutch (Nederlands) ( 586,064 )
- Spanish (Español) ( 560,142 )
- Portuguese (Português) ( 542,406 )
- Russian (Русский) ( 491,274 )
- Swedish (Svenska) ( 345,662 )
- Chinese (中文) ( 293,663 ) - uses both traditional and simplified characters
- Norwegian (Norsk), bokmål and riksmål edition ( 246,829 )
- Finnish (Suomi) ( 229,481 )
- Catalan (Català) ( 224,873 )
- Ukrainian (Українська) ( 187,888 )
- Hungarian (Magyar) ( 154,421 )
- Czech (Čeština) ( 148,176 )
- Turkish (Türkçe) ( 140,857 )
- Romanian (Română) ( 138,506 )
Links relevant to coordinationEdit
- Multilingualism (new as of 5/2004; merge with this page?)
- There is also an English Uncyclopedia available -- International help necessary
- Help us find a Uncyclopedia mascot!
Translation and cross-fertilizationEdit
- Uncyclopedia Machine Translation Project
- TransUncyclo - for moving articles between different languages
- Uncyclopedias and cross-fertilisation
Standards, formats, character setsEdit
- Date formats for language linking
- Caractères spéciaux - special characters to copy & paste on each page?
International community and forksEdit
- Future of international Uncyclopedias as part of the main community
- Thoughts on Uncyclopedia interlanguage priorities
- Two Russian WPs
- South Slavic NPOV page
- Open letter to the Enciclopedia Libre group (Historical; from the fork of the spanish Uncyclopedia in spring 2002)
Language integration ideasEdit
- Thoughts on language integration - Proposal on language integration: merge of database
- Multilingual communication - It is not neccessary to have Uncyclopedias in different languages. There could be one multilingual Uncyclopedia. People will do the coordination what to translate themselves. -- MattisManzel